Tuesday 25 February 2014

Nature and biodiversity : Bats

I am a grade 9 student at Eden College

I was telling her my story about how I rescued a Cape Serotinebat and how it was then released back into the wild.

About 4 weeks ago my parents and I went to our holiday house in Himeville and we found this tiny bat about 3 cms long which we initially thought was dead. My mum noticed that it had moved one of its wings and after a lot of negotiating on my part I got the okay to bring it back home to Durban.

Once home I looked up Bat Rescue organisations and I was so surprised to see that Kate Richardson of Bat Interest Group lives up the road from me. After contacting her she collected the small bat and identified at as a new born boy who was in need of hydration and rehabilitation.  Kate kept the bat until she felt it was time that it could be released back into the wild, however it had to released back where it had been found.

So off we went to Himeville with an echo locator which would allow us to hear the sound of the bats which we would otherwise not be able to hear.  We kept him covered in his basket until dusk, we then allowed him sometime to warm up and then we heard the clicking of the echo locator, we tucked him up in his blanket into the thatched roof, which was more or less where we found him except on the floor,  and left him for the night.

I was so anxious to get there first thing the next morning because I was worried that he hadn’t flown off and had fallen out of the blanket onto the ground – but our mission was a success! When we got there he was gone, whilst we didn’t have the pleasure of watching him fly off into the night with his family we had a good look around and can confidently say that he heard his family and was very pleased to be back home with them.

Anyway I hope you like my story.

From

Emily Garland

No comments:

Post a Comment